November 15, 2006: Today one of Kailey's nurses, Mary told me some very excititng news. Within the next few days I can finally bring Kailey home!!!!!!! I was ecstatic, and started crying. Today is my mom's birthday and I am so excited to call her and tell the news she will be so happy to hear that. Tracy came up for a visit today and brought up my niece Sarah, what a cutie and she has grown so much in the last month!
November 16, 2006: We sat down with Doctor's today and they have agreed that Kailey is well enough to go straight home. The pharmacist came up to our room today with a list of all the medications Kailey is going to need. Needless to say I was bit overwhelmed and I started to feel scared that I wouldn't be able to take care of my own baby. I cleaned and packed up my room at The Ronald McDonald house, wow it's amazing the amount of stuff a person can accumulate over a month! Mike is coming up tomorrow so we can take her home together. I called Angie today to let her know that I would be able to be at her wedding on the Saturday! OK so back to the medication. Kailey will have to be on a heart medication called Captopril every 8 hours to keep her blood pressure under control and since they don't make the dose small enough I have to cut the pill in half and place in a tube with water, shake it until it dissolves then measure out the dosage. She also needs to be on a protein called Carnetine which is also every 8 hours and sodium chloride 2 twice a day she has one more med called Lasix that makes her pee and she will need to be on that 2 times a day it will help keep some of the fluid out of her body. The pharmacist gave me a chart with everything on it and labels that had matching stickers for the syringes. Also they sat me down and told me all the warning signs to look for and gave me the pager number of the on call cardiologist just in case. I was told to make an appointment with my family Doctor the following week and had all our follow-up appointments booked.
November 17, 2006(32 days old): Today is the big the day!!!! I went up to the hospital early and put Kailey into her coming home outfit, my God does she ever look cute. The nurses came in a gave us some formula and bottles to take home with us so that we would have enough until we could get to the store to by some. The also gave us an extra soother in case we lost one because Kailey loves her soother! I went to the pharmacy to pick up all the meds that were ordered and walk out with a shopping bag full of stuff( scary) We waited all day for someone to come and discharge us, Finally at 3pm the papers were signed and the nurse checked out her seat belt and we were good to go. I sat in the back seat with her while Mike drove home carefully as we had precious cargo with us. The drive home felt like it lasted forever. As I sat there is the car I began to worry that our dog Noble would not be to happy that after a month of his mommy being gone and then showing up with a new baby would react. Noble our dog, was so excited to see me that he peed all over the front door, and he didn't even notice Miss Kailey sleeping in the car seat. That night after we arrived home we headed over to the Church where Angie and Ken were getting married the next day for a rehearsal, we brought Kailey with us and everyone cooed all over but I wasn't allowed to have to many people hold because of the excitement her heart couldn't handle it and she would start to turn funny colours. So we finally arrived home that night and it took me an hour to prepare all the medications and her bottle and then another hour to give it to her, and then I had to wake up 3 hours later to feed her. So I didn't get much sleep that night. The next morning I had to leave Kailey with Mike so that I could go and get my Hair and make-up done for the wedding and get pictures and things done. Mike's parents were going to Watch Kailey for a bit that night. But I think they to were overwhelm with all of the different medications. Anyways long story short the wedding was awesome and went back to pick Kailey up and we had a great night. But she does not like to be woken up and we have to do it 3 times a night.And thus concludes all of the journal entries I have from Kailey's time in the hospital. But don't worry the story doesn't end there, stay tuned!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment